Tuesday, April 20, 2010

What is wrong with this Song? Does it matter?

You hear a song that had bad language in it - well there's no doubt the song is bad. What about songs that don't have bad language but are not right biblically? The words might sounds cool, and the music heart warming but is that sufficient? I wanted to hear from you on this topic. What are your thoughts? Is it wrong to hear and enjoy such songs? Do you think there will an impact in personal lives? More basic, are there such songs? Do you know any songs(non christian) that maybe your friends or even our own brothers and sisters in Church sing that you see has an issue with it's philosophy or stand?

I want to hear your comments so please feel to express yourself on this.

13 comments:

  1. I remember one song that I have heard which has nice music but was biblically wrong. At first I didn't concentrate on the lyrics but after few days of listening to the song realised there are a sentences which were not right and I stopped listening to that song, although I love the music. Sometimes I hum the music but don't sing it. I am curious to know what others think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. what song is that? It might help others to know too

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so true!
    A lot of times you like a song because it has a nice rhythm to it but then when you actually concentrate on the lyrics ... they are so bad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that as long as your not singing the bad lyrics your fine. I mean your just humming right?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do not want to divert our attention away from songs but I would like us to think about our vocabulary and thought process in general. As we go about each day, do we attempt to form sentences that are free of foul words and formed with well intend in content and context? If not,we need to make it a point to focus on this fundamental need every day. Is our speech acceptable to the LORD? As food for thought, let me pose another question. Is it the songs that we need to worry about or is it our ability to parse them from a biblical point of view that deserves our attention? What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Things we listen to and watch influence in ways we don't even realize. I know in the past, I was fine with listening to music with profanity as long as it wasn't around parents/other adults/prude people, but that was before I became a believer.

    Listening to music with extreme profanity makes it difficult to eliminate foul language from your vocabulary; it will sometimes slip out when you don't want it to because it has been ingrained into your subconscious and become part of your lifestyle. Believers need to avoid music with profanity and music with sexual content (and there's a lot of it on the radio these days) because we don't want to dwell on these things. Also, if I'm listening to this music with non-believer friends, I'm definitely not setting an ideal example of what a true believer should be. It would basically be conveying the message that "Yes, I'm a Christian and I believe in Christ, but I can live just like everyone else, listening to and watching whatever because IN MY HEART I know that it's wrong and that's all that matters." This is so far from the truth.

    As believers in Jesus, we need to help those people; the people that are lost and drowning in sin and have pretty much bought themselves a one-way ticket to hell. Even if we NEVER even mention the name of Christ to these friends, just by avoiding the use of profanity, or switching the station when a questionable song comes on, they WILL notice that we are living differently and many will want to know why.

    Just my two cents

    ReplyDelete
  7. Agreed. Others, what do you think? Even though sharing the good news of Jesus Christ should be our focus each day, our careful conducts can convey much about what we are composed of as people and believers. It is no longer a choice for us to be passive (careless) about what we listen to. It is rather a responsibility because not only we hurt ourselves spiritually but also either become stumbling blocks for other believers or loose opportunities to reach non-believers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Agreed. There is more to holiness than singing. How do we build discernment? I think there are two aspects - a) knowing what is wrong and doing it and b) unknowingly doing wrong. If it's the first it's disobedience. If it's the latter it's being naive. There is a need to be discerning about everything that impacts our thinking, attitude and actions. An average teenager and adult spends most of the free time listening to music(which includes lyrics).

    Let me tell about one song I was stumped about when I spent some time thinking about them from biblial perspective.

    Saaiyya - Beautiful captivating song. I heard in a store and was so impacted then I searched for it and got a copy. I thought it was a love song and it seems like it too. After sometime, I realized it's a song with hindu religious significance.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I listen to songs that are biblically not acceptable and I listen to songs that are biblically acceptable. I agree that listening to songs with foul language makes you prone to repeat those same words, but at the same time, foul language is everywhere. In movies, television shows, and in the everyday vocabulary of people around us... even family and friends that are close to us. It's difficult to separate yourself from foul language. Although I know listening to music with bad language is not the right thing to do, I don't understand why it's so bad if I don't agree with what is said in the song, I don't live by that song, and I don't repeat those words. It's just a catchy song with no real significance. Just my two cents.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Why am I the only one that isn't anonymous? Scared?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everyone was not setup in the blog until recently. We still the anonymous option if you would not like your name to show up.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. If you don't agree with what's being said in the song and you don't wish to repeat those words then why subject yourself to it in the first place? Catchy or not, I think we should refrain from listening to it and live as uncontradictorily as possible. We say we are one thing but live in a totally different way. And then suddenly, it's like walking on thin ice in regards to our Walk because we're allowing small, "possibly" offensive things into our lifestyle and before we know it, those small things have become so numerous, we end up falling off track, or (to keep up with the analogy :P) through the ice and into the freezing water. Aside from that, we're telling others it's okay.

    Personally, it's gotten to a point where I've become sensitive to profanity, whether it's used in a song, overheard in someone's conversation, or even in my own group of friends, it's highly offensive to me.

    I don't think this means we have to run out and buy Wow Worship 1 thru 37 and listen to that on continuous replay, but we still need to be able to discern what music would possibly hinder us in our relationship with Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good sentiments Jenni - it's music to my ears. That's leads to the next question - is it just a matter of personal preference or is there a biblical standard or principle(s) that overarch this issue? If its just a matter of personal preference then it's definetly good to discuss and learn from each other but not compelling enough. How should(does) believing in God have a bearing on this?

    ReplyDelete